Worth seeing in St. Moritz

Forget Pisa

The Leaning Tower is St. Moritz's most spectacular sight, no doubt. Here is a list of things you should make sure to visit as well.

The St. Moritz Bucket List is a great inspiration for the guests of St. Moritz during their stay on Top Of The World. For those who still haven't had enough St. Moritz has yet more fascinating sights up its sleeve. The Leaning Tower, to name one. It is as much a part of St. Moritz as the Statue of Liberty is of New York or the Eiffel Tower is of Paris. Built in 1570 as the steeple of the St. Mauritius Church, it was relieved of its bells in 1890 to make it less top-heavy, and, in 1893, it saw its nave removed. It has been restored a total of five times and somewhat straightened. The 33-metre-high tower has a 5.5-degree tilt, thereby exceeding even the cant of the world-famous Leaning Tower of Pisa. This St. Moritz icon is located in the heart of the village, opposite the Kulm Hotel.

More crooked than the Leaning Tower of Pisa: the leaning tower in St. Moritz boasts a 5.5 degree incline.
Visitors often flock to

The Forum Paracelsus – back to the source

St. Moritz, in fact, first rose to prominence more than 3,400 years ago when it was first hailed as a spa. The Forum Paracelsus, a pump room built around 1866, has been carefully renovated and turned into a museum. An audio tour, supported by touch screens, will have you relive the history of the mineral springs of St. Moritz. A drinking fountain invites you to taste the St. Moritz seltzer water. The original Mauritius well from the Bronze Age, dated to 1411 BC, displayed behind glass, is the centrepiece of the museum. The Forum Paracelsus, located next to the St. Moritz health spa, is open every day of the week; admission is free.

The Chesa Futura – a UFO at your doorstep

The British architect Norman Foster built or restored many exceptional buildings in St. Moritz. The Chesa Futura, sitting just above the centre of the village, arguably, is his masterpiece. The entire facade of the building, its shape reminiscent of a UFO, is covered with some 250,000 larch shingles. And, now you're here, you might as well embark on an extensive architectural walk through St. Moritz.

The Olympic stadium of 1928 and 1948

St. Moritz, Lake Placid, and Innsbruck belong to a select circle that hosted Olympic Games twice. The former Olympic stadium is the most prominent legacy of the St. Moritz Olympic Games. The building has been carefully renovated by Rolf Sachs, a furniture designer and sports and culture enthusiasts with close ties to St. Moritz. He has made it his home. Even so, it remains open to the public. The building is situated next to the Kulm Golf Club's Golf Academy, near the Kulm Hotel.

The comprehensive list

All St. Moritz landmarks

“La Bellezza liberata della materia”

Via Somplaz , 7500 St. Moritz

www.segantini-museum.ch

A sculpture of Leonardo Bistolfi. A memorial to Giovanni Segantini.

Bench Congiroula

Stazerwald , 7500 St. Moritz
Tel. +41 81 837 33 33
stmoritz@remove-this.estm.ch

Bronze Bust of Johannes Badrutt

Plazza Mauritius , 7500 St. Moritz

The bronze bust of Johannes Badrutt is a work of the british sculptress Nicola Cox. The descendants donated the bust to the town of St. Moritz. Johannes Badrutt (2.4.1819 to 1.11.1889) was a hotel pioneer of St. Moritz and the promoter of the winter tourism in the alps.

Catholic Church Saint Maurice

Via Maistra , 7500 St. Moritz
Tel. +41 81 837 51 10
Fax. +41 81 837 51 12
www.kath-moritz.ch
info@remove-this.kath-moritz.ch

The Church of St. Maurice was built in 1867 and renovated in 1972/73. The stained-glass windows are the work of Enrico Leone Donati, an artist from Zürich. Below the Parish Church is a chapel built into the rocks.

Catholic Church St. Charles

Via Sela , 7500 St. Moritz
Tel. +41 81 837 51 10
Fax. +41 81 837 51 12
www.kath-moritz.ch
info@remove-this.kath-moritz.ch

The Church of St. Charles was built between 1886 and 1889 by Nikolaus Hartmann, and features stained-glass windows by Enrico Leone Donati, an artist from Zurich.

Chesa Futura

Via Tinus , 7500 St. Moritz

Lord Norman Foster's Chesa Futura successfully combines futuristic design with traditional bulding material - 250'000 larch clapboards form the shell of the apartment house that comprises 10 exclusive private suites.

Chesa Veglia

Via Veglia , 7500 St. Moritz
Tel. +41 81 837 26 70
https://www.badruttspalace.com/de

A typical engadine farmhouse built in 1658. Acquired by the owner of the Badrutt's Palace Hotel in 1928. Today it is a restaurant.

Cresta Run

Via Ruinatscha , 7500 St. Moritz

The Cresta Run was built in 1885 as the first one ever and belongs to the St. Moritz Tobogganing Club. The run from St. Moritz to Celerina is 1,214 meters long, and spans an altitude of 157 meters. Daily spectacular competitions or training rides from end of December to beginning of March.

English Church

Via dal Bagn , 7500 St. Moritz
Tel. +41 81 834 47 74
www.ref.ch/st-moritz
pfarramt.stmoritz@remove-this.gr-ref.ch

Between 1860 and 1900 the English parish priest A.B. Strettell would travel to St. Moritz to spend the summer and in 1864 the plan to build an Anglican church was supported by Johannes Badrutt. The neo-Romanesque church was officially consecrated in 1871 and named St. John’s.

Forum Paracelsus

Plazza Paracelsus , 7500 St. Moritz
Tel. +41 81 837 33 88
sport@remove-this.stmoritz.ch

Millennia-old bathing culture

The bathing culture of St. Moritz is deeply rooted – it reaches back to 1400 years BC. The mineral springs with their ferrous and aerated waters achieved great fame and appreciation during the Middle Ages under Pope Leo X and the naturopath Paracelsus. With the St. Moritz MTZ therapeutic bath, a medical, therapeutic bath exists to this day, offering comprehensive therapies. At the associated, newly restored Forum Paracelsus, the history of the St. Moritz mineral springs will be passed on by means of audio stations and touch screens. The drinking fountain invites visitors to taste the St. Moritz acid water, and in the core of the museum, the Mauritius fountain, dating back to the Bronze Age, can be viewed behind a glass pane.

French Church "Au Bois"

Plazza Paracelsus , 7500 St. Moritz

www.ref.ch/st-moritz

Former French-Calvinist church (now evangelical church), built between 1875 and 1877 by Nicolaus Hartmann sen. Neo-Gothic church with slender frontal spire and cross gables. Side entrance in the style of an ambulatory. Interior with open roof truss, choir with ribbed vaulting. Stained-glass window, in a figurative design in the choir.

Heidi's-Hut

Auf dem Schellenursli-Weg , 7500 St. Moritz

The Heidi stories by Swiss author Johanna Spyri from 1880 and 1881 are among the best known children’s books in the world. The original Heidi mountain hut from the Heidi film shot in the Engadin is located above St. Moritz and can be visited by children and adults alike. Access is free.

Kulm Country Club

Lake Lej Marsch

Lej Marsch , 7500 St. Moritz
Tel. +41 81 837 33 33
stmoritz@remove-this.estm.ch

Lake Suvretta

, 7500 St. Moritz
Tel. +41 81 837 33 33
stmoritz@remove-this.estm.ch

Memorial Fountain to Bylandt

Via Maistra , 7500 St. Moritz

A memorial to Jules Bylandt died on 18th February 1907 on the "Cresta Run". Behind the bus stop in front of the Kulm Hotel.

Olympia Bob Run St. Moritz-Celerina

Plazza Gunter Sachs , 7500 St. Moritz

The 1722-meter-long ice channel starting in St. Moritz and ending in Celerina is the only nautral-ice bobsleigh run in the world. From end of December until beginning of March national and international competitions, practice and taxi rides are held daily throughout the winter season.

Olympic-Stadium

Via Johannes Badrutt , 7500 St. Moritz

The stadium to the Olympic Games of 1928 and 1948 is part of the Kulm golf course in summertime. The long neglected building has been restored by Rolf Sachs, long-time visitor to St. Moritz. It is now his private residence.

Olympic-Stone

Plazza Paracelsus , 7500 St. Moritz

Commemorates the Winter Games held in 1928 and 1948.

Protestant Church St. Moritz Dorf

Via Maistra , 7500 St. Moritz
www.ref.ch/st-moritz
pfarramt.stmoritz@remove-this.gr-ref.ch

The church, situated in the centre of St. Moritz Dorf, was last restored and its interior completely redesigned in 2007. The hall-like interior was made brighter and also equipped with movable seating, to cater for both church services and cultural events. A particularly outstanding feature is its gold-coloured, cubical porch.

The village church was built between 1785 and 1787. The neo-Gothic tower in its present form dates from 1896/97.

Regina Pacis Chapel

Via Chasellas , 7500 St. Moritz
Tel. +41 81 837 51 10
Fax. +41 81 837 51 12
www.kath-moritz.ch
info@remove-this.kath-moritz.ch

The Regina Pacis Chapel was built in 1928 in historicism style, and contains 10 glass panels created by Ernst Rinderspacher and a neo-Gothic winged altar by the Nuremberg altar builder, Stärk.

Seat bench at the Train Station St. Moritz

Bahnhofplatz , 7500 St. Moritz
Tel. +41 81 837 33 33
stmoritz@remove-this.estm.ch

Seat bench Carlton Hotel

Via Johannes Badrutt , 7500 St. Moritz
Tel. +41 81 837 33 33
stmoritz@remove-this.estm.ch

St. Mauritius Fountain

Via Maistra , 7500 St. Moritz

The memorial to the leader of a roman legion (300 AD) and local holy Mauritius was created 1910. In front of the city hall of St. Moritz.

St. Moritzersee

, 7500 St. Moritz
Tel. +41 81 837 33 33
stmoritz@remove-this.estm.ch

Streetlamp

Via Maistra , 7500 St. Moritz

On 18th July 1879 the first eletric lights glow at the Kulm Hotel's dining room. For that, Johannes Badrutt let built the first electric power station in St. Moritz and in Switzerland.

The Cresta Rider

Via Maistra , 7500 St. Moritz

Life-sized bronze sculpture of a skeleton rider, by David Wyne. A gift to the town by the St. Moritz Tobogganing Club during the centenary celebration in 1985.

The Leaning Tower

Via Brattas , 7500 St. Moritz

The leaning tower is a landmark dating back to the 12th century. It was part of the old Church of St. Mauritius, which was destroyed in 1893. Height: 33m. Inclination: 5.5 degrees.